It is now the last week of August and if this were a normal year I would be sprucing up my vocal chords for my fall sing with the Richard Eaton Singers – of Edmonton. In fact, I would have already have sung for a week with the program that Jordan Van Biert and Dr. Joy Berg run out of Concordia University of Edmonton every August – Singspiration. This year they had the biggest number yet, around 170, in their adult choral program and they had a rock star of choral music conducting at the podium – Dr. Leonard Ratzlaff.
However, if you follow this post regularly, or even irregularly, you will have noticed that I had to break up with my choir. Not because of any hanky panky or being run out of town for cooking the books, no I accepted another job in a city far far away from the Choral Metropolis of the Prairies; I now live in Saskatoon! Not that there is anything wrong with Saskatoon – I grew up there and my family still lives there as well as all my High School friends. There are choral groups in Saskatoon – I joined one of them last month and am eagerly awaiting the first rehearsal. It’s just that when you measure the sheer magnitude of choral music found in Edmonton and compare it against most other Western Canadian Cities – Edmonton stands as a monolith and most other places stand as dominoes’ (if you were to compare them in Stanley Kubrick’s movie 2001 a Space Odyssey). Len and his choral conducting peeps at the U of A have a lot of “splainin to do” on that score!
- O Gladsome Light – November 7, 2015 – McDougall Church
- Messiah (ESO) – December 4 & 5, 2015 – Winspear Centre
- RCA Band Christmas Concert – December 11, 2015 – Winspear Centre
- This Mortal Coil – March 13, 2016 – Winspear Centre
- Hollywood Pops (ESO) – April 22 & 23, 2016 – Winspear Centre
- Podium 2016 – May 22, 2016 – TBC
- Mahler Symphony #8 – June 10 & 11, 2016 – Jack Singer Concert Hall Calgary
So, what is my own concert schedule with the Saskatoon Chamber Singers going to look like? If any of you are interested and going to be in the Saskatoon Area on these dates here it is:
- A Terrible Beauty – 2PM and 730 PM, November 11, 2015 – Knox United Church
- Welcome Yule – 2PM and 730 PM, December 13, 2015 – Knox United Church
- Away With Winter – 2PM and 730 PM, March 6, 2016 – Knox United Church
- Renaissance Modern- 2PM and 730 PM, May 8, 2016 – Knox United Church
More posts to follow as I move in a Chamber Chorus direction as opposed to a Symphonic Chorus sound.